Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Carolyn Elinor Martin (1917-2007)

While I was in Qatar, Brian's Mom passed away in Pt. Townsend, Washington. Sarah Elinor was born on May 6th and Carolyn died May 8th. I was so wrapped up in the joy of Sarah's birth that I tried not to dwell on Carolyn's passing. Now that I have been home a while, I have had more time to think about her and feel the need to say a few things. Carolyn and I weren't just mother-in-law and daughter-in-law. We were friends. She was a very supportive and positive person. When it came to her family, she was there to build you up, not tear you down. She seemed to always see the positive. I appreciated her fun loving personality. She seemed so confident and secure and truly didn't worry about much. Her generosity was remarkable. She was generous with her praise, with her time and with her energy as well as with her money. She was always dreaming up fun things to do and included me whenever she could. She was there to listen when I wanted to share exciting news or concerns about Corrine, Craig and Ross. She was as involved and interested as she could be without overdoing it. Carolyn and I shared a love of our family, cooking, baking, shopping, "lunching", Christmas, reading, and just yakking together. She had a wonderful laugh and found so many things amusing. She was a wonderful Grandmother. She gave that unconditional love that kids thrive on. Carolyn loved to entertain people in their home. She was so thoughtful to include my Mom and Dad so that I wouldn't feel torn. I appreciated that so much. She was sadly stricken with dementia in the last few years and wasn't herself at all. I missed the way she used to be and grieved for that loss long before she died. She is survived by three of her four children as well as five Grandchildren and five Great Grandchildren. We will all, with the exception of Craig and his family, gather in Pt. Townsend in August to have a memorial dinner for her and then Mark will hopefully be able to fly his plane over Cape George and scatter her ashes in that place that she loved so much. I loved her very much and am so grateful for what she added to my life.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a nice tribute! I only met Carolyn for Craig & Becky's pre-wedding and wedding gatherings. She was a person you could only meet once and feel like you had known her for a long time--that is how I felt whenever her name was mentioned. It must have been a rare and great joy to have had her as a mother-in-law!

Anonymous said...

Wow that started the tears. She was the neatest lady, I ALWAYS enjoyed her. I will miss her bright eyes and her laugh. She was a thoughtful and caring person that just touched everyone she ever met. Thank you for sharing this.

'came straight from the downy feathers of an angel's wings.'